Programs for singers
Five-Week Intensive Training Program
May 18, 2024 – June 23, 2024
Musical Theatre Performers
May 18, 2024 – June 23, 2024
Designed for North American singers, who are of advanced standing with considerable previous voice training, this five-week intensive program is a must for those who wish to focus on further developing technique while simultaneously working on their performance skills. This comprehensive program provides instruction in Creative Process (focused on developing imagination and improvisation skills), Acting, Movement, Alexander Technique, Clown, Lyric Diction, Text and Vocal Interpretation taught by distinguished faculty who are experts in their field. Our guest teachers, who are internationally recognized artists, give mini-master classes, public forum masterclasses, private voice lessons and professional development seminars.
In addition to classes, private coaching and lessons, this program provides artists with the opportunity to learn and perform a complete role in a fully produced opera and/or musical theatre production. The Intensive Program mirrors a professional experience in that singers are expected to prepare their role(s) prior to arriving. Music and staging rehearsals begin on the second day of the program.
Upon completion of the Emerging Artist Program, participants will receive a Certificate of Completion. Students may receive course credit depending on their institution and should discuss course credit with their faculty representative.
NOTE: Singers must provide their own pianist.
Reminder – If you wish to apply for a bursary or a scholarship, the application MUST be included with your audition package.
Opera Performers audition requirements:
- One Italian aria
- One non-Italian aria or art song representing another language (Please provide contrasting styles and tempi. No Oratorio.)
- One English aria, music theatre, or operetta selection
Musical Theatre Performers audition requirements:
One song from each of the following eras:
- The Golden Age (1943-1965) (Composers such as Rodgers and Hammerstein, Lerner and Loewe, Bock and Harnick, etc.)
- Contemporary Musical Theatre repertoire (any song written after 2000) (Composers such as Kander and Ebb, Schwartz, Finn, Guettel, Pasek & Paul, etc.
- A 2-minute monologue (Classical or contemporary)
In-person audition deadline:
November 1, 2023
Video Audition Submission Deadline:
November 15, 2023
Please see the Tuition page for additional information regarding Tuition, Fees and Accommodations.
Short List for 25th Anniversary Productions:
- II barbiere di Siviglia (Rossini)
- La Vie Parisienne (Offenbach)
- Adventures of Pinocchio (Jonathan Dove)
- Sweeney Todd (Sondheim)
- A Little Night Music (Sondheim)
- Alice By Heart (Duncan Sheik & Steven Sater)
NUOVA will also produce 2 contemporary chamber operas in 2024:
- As One’ by Laura Kaminsky
- ‘When The Sun Comes Out’ by Leslie Uyeda
SHARED Opera/Music Theatre PRODUCTION:
- A semi-staged concert of “Titanic“
Ready to Apply?
Become a part of our dynamic programs and distinguish yourself in a highly competitive industry.